Want To Get Your Best Body Ever in 2017? Read This!
Barre Body Founder Emma Seibold shares her top tips for getting in the best shape ever and the small diet changes that will make a huge difference
Always vow to get fit at the start of each new year, sign up for the gym or bootcamp, keep at it for a month, then let it fall by the wayside? You're not alone, it happens to the best of us! The truth is if you don't actually enjoy the exercise you are doing, you probably won't stick it out. Hey, we're all busy and life is too short spending time doing something you hate!
No, this is not a hall pass to give up on your new year's resolution to get fit, in fact the very opposite! If you want to shape up and have fun doing it, then you need to try barre workouts. I started practicing barre workouts in 2014 (both Xtend Barre and Barre Body) both during and post pregnancy, and have been hooked ever since!
Combining ballet, pilates and yoga these workouts literally use muscles you never knew you had. And thanks to the launch of Barre Body Online you can now get in shape in the comfort of your own home. In this exclusive See.Need.Want Q&A, we chat to Barre Body founder Emma Seibold about the key to getting fit, the benefits of staying in shape with Barre Body and the small diet changes that will make a huge difference.
1. What's your advice to anyone wanting to improve their fitness/ body in 2017?
My biggest tip is simply to move your body in a way that feels beautiful for you. It’s very simple; do any form of moment that you love and don’t overdo it. Try to get a little strength training, cardio and flexibility each week so you balance your body. Barre Body is obviously perfect for this! (And now is much more accessible with Barre Body Online.)
2. Why is Barre Body a great form of workout? What are the top three benefits of practicing?
Absolutely - Barre Body is suitable for every body, every level of experience, and every fitness goal. The top three benefits of practicing are:
1) Increased muscle tone - Our classes are designed o tone your entire body, creating longer, leaner muscles. Ballet & pilates exercises at the barre and on the mat tone your muscles, while complementary yoga postures lengthen and shape your muscles - think long & lean like a ballet dancer!)
2) Fast results - The interval training format (raising and lowering the heart rate) means that you get fast results, fat burning is increased and your metabolism is boosted for hours after your workout. Barre Body works your entire body, giving special attention to the lesser used muscles, resulting in a total body toning effect.
3) It’s fun and addictive! You’ll see results quickly, enjoy mental clarity and will fall in love with your amazing body.
3. You've recently launched your online studio (which I love by the way!) What programs would you recommend for - Beginners - Weight-loss - All over toning How often would you recommend practicing for best results.
Thank you! We are so proud of Barre Body Online because it means we can bring the Barre Body love to people all over the world - wherever they are, however they choose to move their bodies.
For Beginners, our “Starting the Journey” program is ideal because it’s a gentle way to start exercising. It also introduces a lot of the Barre Body principles and terms, so you’re set up to be able to do any of our programs or classes successfully.
For weight loss, our "Quick Fit Fix" program is great because it incorporates lots of cardio and high impact moves to get your heart pumping.
For all over toning, "Total Tone" is the obvious choice, and it’s a 4-week focus on every hard-to-reach area of your body for some brilliant results.
Our programs are mainly designed to be done 5 times per week, but this is actually a lot more than I would typically recommend. If you’re coming to a Barre Body studio, we recommend 3-4 times per week to ensure you’re giving your body enough time to rejuvenate so you can maximise your results. However, the Barre Body Online programs have been designed in a way that you can still move your body 5 x per week while maintaining balance (i.e. one day might be a 20 minute lower body focus when you’ve had a full cardio session the day before).
4. What are some small diet changes which in conjunction to practicing Barre Body can lead to big results?
I love food and my eating philosophy is pretty simple. In fact, it can be nicely summed up by the title of Michael Pollan’s book, “Eat food. Mostly plants. Not too much.”
- Eat good, whole food.
- Lots of veggies, whole grains, spices and pulses.
- Eat kindly. Mostly vegetarian if you can.
- Have a balanced diet. For me that includes chocolate, pizza, hot chips and ice-cream occasionally, though probably more than I should.
- Be moderate in your moderation. As per the above; don’t be too extreme. Let go a little and treat yourself.
- Make healthy versions of your favourite foods.
- Eat slowly and chew well.
- Bless your food before you eat it.
- Be grateful.
5. What's your advice to anyone wanting to change their physique to be more lean and toned? What would you say is the secret formula?
I don’t think there is a secret formula, but my biggest tip is to embrace your individual body. Every body is so different and so beautiful in its own way. We are all so blessed to be able to move our bodies - so move yours in a way that serves you, and love every bit of you!
6. What's a typical day in your life?
My days are always different, which keeps life fun! If I’m not travelling to our Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne studios, I’m at home in beautiful Byron Bay, with my husband and two gorgeous babies, Xavier and Isla. I always try to start the day (before the babies wake up) with a meditation practice, followed by a Barre Body workout on my mat or my yoga platform. Then the day will inevitably see me on calls with my Barre Body team, playing with Xavier and Isla, working on my laptop managing our wonderful Barre Body brand, lots of wholesome, yummy food, perhaps a trip to the markets, and thinking about what’s ahead for Barre Body and beyond.